Saturday 20 June 2009

Popina

On my recent trip to Broadway market, I noticed - and treated myself to - a savoury tart from the Popina stall.

I knew it rang a UKTV Food bell in my head, and I remembered that Popina had featured recently in Rachel Allen Bake! the show sees her and a class baking something each week from her cookery school in Ballymaloe, Ireland. There is also a recorded insert each week where she meets an artisan baker/chocolatier etc.

Rachel met Isidora Popovic who runs Popina from a factory unit in Colliers Wood. Each tart is created by hand and has no colourings or flavourings, and all the ingredients for each of their tarts are listed on their website. They also showed the lucky individual whose job it was, among other things, to crack 6000 eggs each week by hand.

Popina tarts, brownies and pastries are on sale in Portabello market as well as a host of London farmers markets. Find out where here .

No comments: