Wednesday 24 June 2009

Ginola



Coach trip has been a guilty pleasure of students and those on duvet days for years. It reminds me of our 24 hour coach journeys to the South of France as a child. The combination of the deliciously camp host, angry Brits abroad and randomly rubbish locations they are dragged to makes for the most cringy and absorbing television. Why do these people want to stay on the coach anyway?

But I was very excited to hear that season two of the show stopped off in St Maxime in the Cote D'Azur, near where I have been on holiday recently. The coach trippers were treated to a game of football on the beach with local celebrity and vineyard owner - David Ginola. Now I haven't seen the episode in question yet, but I'm imagining the wondrous ex-footballer cum vintner stepping out of the Azure sea in an Ursula Andres style, locks flowing. I can't wait for C4 catch up to roll out it's entire archive and prove me right.

Ginola has been taking his wine production very seriously though, he won a silver award at the London International Wine fair for his Coste Brulade, which is apparently a delicate, dry rose. When David appeared on the One Show to talk about his wine the producers asked a load of Geordie women (he once played football for Newcastle you see) to rate it against standard rose plonk and they loved it too.

No comments: